Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Slight Scare

       On my drive to work Monday my stomach became very crampy. My stomach was rock hard and I found myself using my breathing techniques to find some relieve. This is exactly what everyone has been telling me a contraction feels like. I convinced myself though that surely he was just lying across my stomach and causing me discomfort. It continued for another half hour after I got to school. Sure enough 2 hours later the same cramping pain happened. I called Erik, but told him I didn't want to call the doctor just yet because I wasn't 100% sure these were contractions and didn't want to feel stupid. However, when I got the pains again after another 2 hours the teaching staff and family made sure I called my doctor. She just asked me what I was feeling and then had me come in later that afternoon. Can't even explain how scared I was driving there...I just kept thinking I'M NOT READY!!! When I got there the nurses put me on a machine that tracked Easton's heartbeat and my contractions. Well, of course I didn't have a contraction at the doctor's office because they were only happening every 2 hours. So, after 20 mins on the machine the nurse came in and gave me the "this is normal" speech and I did have contractions, but they were Braxton Hicks and blah blah blah. Then she said but let me buzz the baby really quick. So, she buzzed him and his heart rate dipped way down and then went back to normal. She then let out a "hmmmmmm" and started looking at Easton's heart rate on the sheet and then ripped it off and leaving the door open spoke with the doctor who said, "O, that’s not good...I don't like to see that at all. Keep her on the monitor but have her turn on her side and drink water." Erik and I were like UHHHHHHHHHHHH WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON!!!! So, I laid on my left side and drank the water and then Easton got the hiccups, so instead of the monitor reading Easton's heart rate it was reading his hiccups. I never thought I would be the calm one in this situation, but some how I was and Erik was ready to blow. His hiccups lasted about 10 mins and the nurse came back in with the doctor and I said you're not going to be able to see his heart rate because he got the hiccups. The doctor said, "That's wonderful, I know he is just fine now." We were so relieved. Even though I hadn't experienced a contraction at the doctor's office she wanted to check to see if I was dilated. I am happy to report that I was not dilated and everything is looking great. I am still supposed to be off my feet as much as possible and drink as much water as I can. We were so relieved after we left the office. But I do have to say that if those were just Braxton Hicks I am done for. They were way more painful then I could have ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment