Sunday, May 16, 2010

37 weeks and Hospital Tour

I am so relived to say that we made it to 37 weeks and Easton is now considered full term.  According to babycenter.com if I went into labor, his lungs would likely be mature enough to fully adjust to life outside of the womb.  He should weigh at least 6.lbs 3 ounces and measure at least 19 inches long.   They said most babies have a full head of hair and a lot of the time it is not the color of the parents.

Yesterday, Erik and I went on the tour of the Mansfield Methodist hospital where we will be delivering out.  We are both glad we decided to take the tour because it was very informative.  We found out that our delivery room is humongous!  We got so excited because we figured that is where we would stay the entire time, but unfortunately that room is just for delivery, but our postpartum room isn't too shabby.  I was also very relieved to know that unless your baby has to go to the NICU or otherwise have additional testing he stays in the room with us for all the normal checkups and tests.  At most hospitals the babies are taken away to the nursery to run these standard tests, but Mansfield feels very strongly that it is best for the baby to keep him close to mom.  Not only that, but I was thrilled to find out that they are a breastfeeding friendly hospital, which means as soon as they run his test they will immediately give him back to me to latch on and start feeding.  Then after his belly is full they will give him his first bath and family can come and meet him.  There was no one there delivering at that time, and chances are good that either we will be delivering by ourselves or with only a few other patients so the nursing staff will be able to be very attentive.

We also received all the important information about when to come to the hospital and what doors to come through.  So, I decided to quiz Erik on the way home.  I said, "Okay honey tell me when we need to go to the hospital."  He thought for a minute then with the most confidence said, "O yeah, when your 5 cm dilated."  I started busting out laughing and said, "Well babe I guess you better get the ruler out so you can measure to make sure I'm ready."  He started laughing and corrected himself.




No comments:

Post a Comment